texlive.tlpdb cosmetics
t***@schoepfer.info
2017-10-16 18:03:51 UTC
Hi,

some mostly cosmetic things found in texlive.tlpdb:
-some packages depend on themselves, is it worth if i provide a list to
remove these deps?
-package amsfonts has some spaces here "execute addMap euler.map",
should be "one" space.
-pmxchords.ARCH consists of a single link, pointing to pmxchords.lua, no
binary involved at all. Is it against some policy that this link isn't
in package pmxchords?

Johannes
Karl Berry
2017-10-16 20:24:08 UTC
Hi Johannes,

-some packages depend on themselves, is it worth if i provide a list to
remove these deps?

I'm happy to see the list, at least. It may be a result of some
dependency (semi-)auto-generation.

-package amsfonts has some spaces here "execute addMap euler.map",
should be "one" space.

It doesn't hurt to have multiple spaces. It's just to make the .tlpsrc
file prettier. No change needed.

-pmxchords.ARCH consists of a single link, pointing to pmxchords.lua, no
binary involved at all. Is it against some policy that this link isn't
in package pmxchords?

No, this is normal. The .ARCH subpackages are present when a package
installs anything in the bin/ARCH/ subdirs. Whether it installs a
binary, script, or symlink is immaterial.

Thanks,
Karl
t***@schoepfer.info
2017-10-16 21:22:57 UTC
Hi Karl,
Post by t***@schoepfer.info
-some packages depend on themselves, is it worth if i provide a list to
remove these deps?
I'm happy to see the list, at least. It may be a result of some
dependency (semi-)auto-generation.
Here it is:
amstex
context
cslatex
csplain
eplain
jadetex
lollipop
luatex
metafont
mex
mltex
mptopdf
texsis
xmltex

Johannes
Norbert Preining
2017-10-17 00:02:56 UTC
Hi
Post by t***@schoepfer.info
amstex
context
cslatex
csplain
eplain
jadetex
lollipop
luatex
metafont
mex
mltex
mptopdf
texsis
xmltex
Indeed, seems to be a problem with our script that auto-generated
dependencies for formats. We will look into it.

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert http://www.preining.info
Accelia Inc. + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Developer
GPG: 0x860CDC13 fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13
t***@schoepfer.info
2017-10-19 22:22:05 UTC
Hi,

following packages in texlive.tlpdb have no shortdesc/longdesc:

afm2pl
amsldoc-it
amsthdoc-it
beebe
besjournals
bibtexu
c90
cjkutils
cmexb
cns
context-annotation
context-layout
context-simpleslides
context-title
context-visualcounter
cyrplain
dnp
dvipos
euxm
fontware
genmisc
glyphlist
guide-to-latex
gustlib
gustprog
hyperref-docsrc
hyphen-base
impatient-cn
jmn
kluwer
knuthotherfonts
ku-template
lambda
latex2e-help-texinfo-spanish
latexconfig
manfnt-font
mflua
omegaware
otibet
pdfwin
pst-ghsb
qpxqtx
revtex4
roex
srbook-mem
sympytexpackage
synctex
tablestyles
tex-virtual-academy-pl
texconfig
ttfutils
updmap-map
vlna
xmltexconfig

Johannes
Reinhard Kotucha
2017-10-16 20:41:27 UTC
[stuff omitted]
-pmxchords.ARCH consists of a single link, pointing to
pmxchords.lua, no binary involved at all. Is it against some policy
that this link isn't in package pmxchords?
Hi Johannes,
there are no links to scripts in texlive.tlpdb at all. Symlink
targets depend on where the texmf trees are located relative to the
bin/ directory and this is configurable at install time. Furthermore,
there are no symlinks on Windows and we have to use wrapper scripts
instead.

http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/bin/win32/runscript.tlu?view=markup

Regards,
Reinhard
Reinhard Kotucha Phone: +49-511-3373112
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover mailto:***@web.de
2017-10-16 21:09:58 UTC
there are no links to scripts in texlive.tlpdb at all.

I'm not sure what you mean. The bindir scripts are present in tlpdb, and
installed as relative symlinks, e.g.,

name pmxchords.amd64-freebsd
category Package
revision 32405
shortdesc amd64-freebsd files of pmxchords
binfiles arch=amd64-freebsd size=1
bin/amd64-freebsd/pmxchords

name pmxchords.armel-linux

$ pwd
/home/texlive/karl/Master/bin/amd64-freebsd
$ ls -l pmxchords
lrwxrwxrwx 1 karl root 48 Nov 25 2016 pmxchords -> ../../texmf-dist/scripts/pmxchords/pmxchords.lua
Reinhard Kotucha
2017-10-16 22:29:09 UTC
Post by Reinhard Kotucha
there are no links to scripts in texlive.tlpdb at all.
I'm not sure what you mean. The bindir scripts are present in tlpdb, and
installed as relative symlinks, e.g.,
Sorry for the noise, I overlooked the *.ARCH entries.

2017-10-19 22:44:50 UTC
following packages in texlive.tlpdb have no shortdesc/longdesc:

Thanks again, Johannes. A few of those will be easy. Others, well, it
will take time to get through them all. Eventually ... --thanks, karl.
Norbert Preining
2017-10-19 23:48:42 UTC
Post by Karl Berry
Thanks again, Johannes. A few of those will be easy. Others, well, it
will take time to get through them all. Eventually ... --thanks, karl.
Well, short and long descriptions are auto-generated from the TeX
Catalogue, so as soon as there are entries for them, or the tlpsrc are
properly linked to some TC entry, they should show up.

Norbert

t***@schoepfer.info
2017-10-29 08:28:01 UTC
Hi,

some packages containing metafonts aren't tagged with font-mf in
catalogue-topics, namely:
allrunes archaic astro bguq casyl cbcoptic circ circuitikz cmtiup eiad
esrelation euxm feyn knuthotherfonts niceframe montex vntex fdsymbol
gothic wsuipa musixtex-fonts bookhands boisik

pstricks:
Maybe pst-pdf should moved from collection-latexextra to
collection-pstricks

Johannes
Norbert Preining
2017-10-29 10:11:09 UTC
Hi
Post by t***@schoepfer.info
some packages containing metafonts aren't tagged with font-mf in
allrunes archaic astro bguq casyl cbcoptic circ circuitikz cmtiup eiad
esrelation euxm feyn knuthotherfonts niceframe montex vntex fdsymbol
gothic wsuipa musixtex-fonts bookhands boisik
Please inform the TeX Catalogue (CTAN) people, we just take what is in there.

Norbert

Karl Berry
2017-10-29 22:57:47 UTC
some packages containing metafonts aren't tagged with font-mf in
catalogue-topics, namely:
allrunes archaic astro bguq casyl cbcoptic circ circuitikz cmtiup eiad
esrelation euxm feyn knuthotherfonts niceframe montex vntex fdsymbol
gothic wsuipa musixtex-fonts bookhands boisik

I surmise CTAN will take care of this; as Norbert said, we just take the
Catalogue info from the source.

Agreed, moved. --thanks, karl.
t***@schoepfer.info
2017-11-03 08:40:00 UTC
Post by t***@schoepfer.info
some packages containing metafonts aren't tagged with font-mf in
allrunes archaic astro bguq casyl cbcoptic circ circuitikz cmtiup eiad
esrelation euxm feyn knuthotherfonts niceframe montex vntex fdsymbol
gothic wsuipa musixtex-fonts bookhands boisik
I surmise CTAN will take care of this; as Norbert said, we just take the
Catalogue info from the source.
They did shortly after i reported to CTAN webmaster, thanks Karl and
Norbert for the hint:
https://ctan.org/topic/font-mf

Unrelated1:
Some package descriptions say that the package requires another package,
but it is not listed as ^depends. I know it tlpdb is not meant to have a
complete dependencies, but nevertheless is it worth to sent you a list
with (hard)dependencies from packages on another package?

Unrelated2:
The metatype1 package has no content but the description file. The
source package has content.

Johannes
Karl Berry
2017-11-03 22:04:15 UTC
Hi Johannes,

nevertheless is it worth to sent you a list
with (hard)dependencies from packages on another package?

Sure, thanks.

The metatype1 package has no content but the description file. The
source package has content.

Such is the nature of the MT distribution. I didn't attempt to make an
unpacked installation suitable for TL. If you, the authors, or someone
else wants to do that work, that would be great. --best, karl.
t***@schoepfer.info
2017-11-08 22:20:15 UTC
Hi,

vntex is the only package with metafonts not residing in
/fonts/source/public

Maybe metafonts should be moved from
/fonts/source/vntex/vnr to
/fonts/source/public/vnr ?

Johannes
Karl Berry
2017-11-10 00:12:02 UTC
vntex is the only package with metafonts not residing in
/fonts/source/public

That's not what I see.

$ ls /.../texmf-dist/fonts/source
gregoriotex/ jknappen/ lh/ ptex-fonts/ public/ vntex/

Most of those others have been around for years.

Maybe metafonts should be moved from
/fonts/source/vntex/vnr to
/fonts/source/public/vnr ?

Even if vntex were the only other subdir, I wouldn't see a reason to
move it. It is fine for a typeface family, or designer, or whatever, to
be in its own "supplier"-level directory. And, one more thing,
vntex.tds.zip provided the .mf files in fonts/source/vntex, and I
wouldn't want to change that without good reason ... --thanks, karl.
t***@schoepfer.info
2017-11-17 10:03:40 UTC
Post by t***@schoepfer.info
vntex is the only package with metafonts not residing in
/fonts/source/public
That's not what I see.
Yes, sorry, i examined an incomplete texmf tree.

fmtutil-sys:
It seems that the fmtutil-sys commands [--all|--missing|--refresh]
do all the same, regardless if these are run the first time without
existing texmf-{config,var,local}, or if formatfiles were already
generated:
All format files are generated, which i expected only for command --all

If this is intentional, the manpage/usage should mention this like
(same as --all, exists for compatibility)

Johannes
Akira Kakuto
2017-11-17 20:35:17 UTC
Post by t***@schoepfer.info
If this is intentional, the manpage/usage should mention this like
(same as --all, exists for compatibility)
--missing create all missing format, base, mem files
--refresh recreate existing format, base, mem files

In the old fmtutil and fmtutil-sys,
existing files, which are described in fmtutil.cfg, are not recreated
in the case of --missing, and nonexistent files are not created in
the case of --refresh, that is, --missing + --refresh = --all.

I think it is better to fix that, if it is not working,
in the new fmtutil-user, and fmtutil-sys.

Thanks,
Akira
Norbert Preining
2017-11-17 23:36:35 UTC
Post by Akira Kakuto
existing files, which are described in fmtutil.cfg, are not recreated
in the case of --missing, and nonexistent files are not created in
the case of --refresh, that is, --missing + --refresh = --all.
It has been like this since 2015, git blame fmtutil.pl gives me:
fd0e2370d69b (Norbert Preining 2015-03-18 06:34:46 +0000 471) # we just identify 'all', 'refresh', 'missing'
fd0e2370d69b (Norbert Preining 2015-03-18 06:34:46 +0000 472) # I don't see much point in keeping all of them
fd0e2370d69b (Norbert Preining 2015-03-18 06:34:46 +0000 473) $doit = 1 if ($what eq 'all');
fd0e2370d69b (Norbert Preining 2015-03-18 06:34:46 +0000 474) $doit = 1 if ($what eq 'refresh');
fd0e2370d69b (Norbert Preining 2015-03-18 06:34:46 +0000 475) $doit = 1 if ($what eq 'missing');

Nobody has complained about this missing feature by now. We could simply
adapt the man page to reflect reality.
Post by Akira Kakuto
I think it is better to fix that, if it is not working,
in the new fmtutil-user, and fmtutil-sys.
Nothing to do with the -user/-sys changes, that above change happened
much earlier.

Akira, do you think it is *necessary* to have these features? If yes, I
will look into it.

Norbert

Akira Kakuto
2017-11-18 09:59:16 UTC
Post by Norbert Preining
Akira, do you think it is *necessary* to have these features?
Sorry, it is not necessary. I use mostly --all, --byfmt,
and --byengine.

Best,
Akira
Karl Berry
2017-11-17 23:44:30 UTC
I've never cared about --missing (might as well use --all, seems to me),
but I've found --refresh useful in the past. That is, set up an
installation to only have a few formats, build them as needed, it's
annoying to have tlmgr trample all over that and just build
everything. I didn't report it for press of other things. Admittedly it
is clearly not strictly necessary ... -k
Norbert Preining
2017-11-21 07:08:12 UTC
Hi all,
Post by Karl Berry
I've never cared about --missing (might as well use --all, seems to me),
fmtutil --missing and --refresh now implemented.

Norbert

t***@schoepfer.info
2017-12-03 15:54:51 UTC
Post by Norbert Preining
Post by Karl Berry
I've never cared about --missing (might as well use --all, seems to me),
fmtutil --missing and --refresh now implemented.
Thank you very much! :-)

The current hyphen-arabic and hyphen-farsi have no content in .tar.xz
and texlive.tlpdb

Johannes
Karl Berry
2017-12-03 22:30:27 UTC
The current hyphen-arabic and hyphen-farsi have no content in .tar.xz
and texlive.tlpdb

They have an AddHyphen directive. That's all they need ... -k