Please update aastex in texlive-publishers
Singer, Leo P. (GSFC-6610)[OAK RIDGE ASSOCIATED UNIVERSITIES (ORAU)]
2017-10-24 20:57:01 UTC
Hi,

AASTeX, the LaTeX class used by the Astrophysical Journal and the Astrophysical Journal Letters, has been updated and version 6.1 is available (http://journals.aas.org/authors/aastex.html). Is it possible to please add aastex61.cls to texlive-publishers?

Thanks,
Leo

----
Dr. Leo P. Singer
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Astroparticle Physics Laboratory
Uwe Siart
2017-10-25 13:55:10 UTC
<***@nasa.gov> writes:

> AASTeX, the LaTeX class used by the Astrophysical Journal and the
> Astrophysical Journal Letters, has been updated and version 6.1 is
> available (http://journals.aas.org/authors/aastex.html). Is it
> possible to please add aastex61.cls to texlive-publishers?

Concerning TeX development I am just a casual bystander. But as far as I
understand only packages and updates that are uploaded to CTAN will make
it in TeX Live. Certainly, we can't expect TL maintainers to permanently
scan the entire web for anything that might be useful.

So the actual contact persons would be the aastex developers. If they
upload 6.1 to CTAN it will end up in Tex Live - otherwise it won't.

However, after reading

<http://journals.aas.org/authors/aastex/linux.html>

I got the impression that they might have their reasons for not
releasing it to CTAN.

Uwe
Philip Taylor
2017-10-25 15:04:40 UTC
Uwe Siart wrote:
> ers to permanently
> scan the entire web for anything that might be useful.
>
> So the actual contact persons would be the aastex developers. If they
> upload 6.1 to CTAN it will end up in Tex Live
It /*may*/ end up in TeX Live ...
Philip Taylor
Zdenek Wagner
2017-10-25 15:20:48 UTC

> Uwe Siart wrote:
>
> ers to permanently
>
> scan the entire web for anything that might be useful.
>
> So the actual contact persons would be the aastex developers. If they
> upload 6.1 to CTAN it will end up in Tex Live
>
> It *may* end up in TeX Live ...
> Philip Taylor

In theory, the TeX Live maintainers may decide to make an exception to the
rule and include a package not published on CTAN. However, a package can be
included only if it has a free license. I do not see any license on the
aastex web and without the license the maintainers are not allowed to
include the package.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz
Singer, Leo P. (GSFC-6610)[OAK RIDGE ASSOCIATED UNIVERSITIES (ORAU)]
2017-10-25 16:09:00 UTC
Uwe Siart <usenet at siart.de> writes:

> "Singer, Leo P. (GSFC-6610)[OAK RIDGE ASSOCIATED UNIVERSITIES (ORAU)]"
> <leo.p.singer at nasa.gov> writes:
>
>> AASTeX, the LaTeX class used by the Astrophysical Journal and the
>> Astrophysical Journal Letters, has been updated and version 6.1 is
>> available (http://journals.aas.org/authors/aastex.html). Is it
>> possible to please add aastex61.cls to texlive-publishers?
>
> Concerning TeX development I am just a casual bystander. But as far as I
> understand only packages and updates that are uploaded to CTAN will make
> it in TeX Live. Certainly, we can't expect TL maintainers to permanently
> scan the entire web for anything that might be useful.
>
> So the actual contact persons would be the aastex developers. If they
> upload 6.1 to CTAN it will end up in Tex Live - otherwise it won't.
>
> However, after reading
>
> <http://journals.aas.org/authors/aastex/linux.html>
>
> I got the impression that they might have their reasons for not
> releasing it to CTAN.

Hi,

I contacted the journal and immediately got a response from Greg Schwarz, the AAS Journals Data Editor, that updating AASTeX in CTAN was on his radar. He has been uploading it routinely:

https://ctan.org/pkg/aastex

But he hasn't updated 6.1 yet because he is working on a few bug fixes first.

Thanks!
Leo
Norbert Preining
2017-10-24 23:41:10 UTC
Hi,

> AASTeX, the LaTeX class used by the Astrophysical Journal and the Astrophysical Journal Letters, has been updated and version 6.1 is available (http://journals.aas.org/authors/aastex.html). Is it possible to please add aastex61.cls to texlive-publishers?

My guess is that you are using Debian or Ubuntu, right? Because in TeX
Live upstream that is called
collectioon-publishers
and Debian/Ubuntu use the package name
texlive-publishers

In this case it depends on your release of Debian/Ubuntu, and there is
nothing we here can do.

Next: I have checked our side (TeX Live) and here there is AASTeX is not
updated.

So please upload yourself or request an upload of the update to CTAN,
after which it will enter TeX Live semi-automatically within a few days.

Thanks

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert http://www.preining.info
Accelia Inc. + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Developer