Dropping support for Mac OS X 10.5 (i386, ppc)?
Mojca Miklavec
2018-03-22 10:24:48 UTC
Hi,

I'm pretty sure that not all the users are subscribed to this mailing
list, but: do you think anyone would actually miss support for Mac OS
X 10.5 (ppc and i386)?

I did manage to compile i386-darwin binaries for 10.5 yesterday after
applying two minor patches (one submitted upstream, one still on
hold). Powerpc has some more hiccups (it's either compiler bug or a
bug in ICU build system which causes us headaches all the time anyway)
that should be possible to mitigate, but ... it might indeed be time
to finally say goodbye? There's a good chance that TL 2018 would still
work from MacPorts anyway.

10.6 with x86_64 will still be (conditionally) supported, 10.7 and
onwards will have full support for installation from command-line at
least.

Mojca
Arthur Reutenauer
2018-03-22 12:55:51 UTC
Post by Mojca Miklavec
I did manage to compile i386-darwin binaries for 10.5 yesterday after
applying two minor patches (one submitted upstream, one still on
hold). Powerpc has some more hiccups (it's either compiler bug or a
bug in ICU build system which causes us headaches all the time anyway)
that should be possible to mitigate, but ... it might indeed be time
to finally say goodbye?
Yes, it might be :-)
Post by Mojca Miklavec
10.6 with x86_64 will still be (conditionally) supported, 10.7 and
onwards will have full support for installation from command-line at
least.
I think that’s already very good.

Best,

Arthur
Juergen Fenn
2018-03-22 21:28:04 UTC
Post by Mojca Miklavec
I'm pretty sure that not all the users are subscribed to this mailing
list, but: do you think anyone would actually miss support for Mac OS
X 10.5 (ppc and i386)?
10.6 with x86_64 will still be (conditionally) supported, 10.7 and
onwards will have full support for installation from command-line at
least.
Mojca, I don't think that support for 10.5 will be greatly missed
because the real threshold system number was 10.6. It was after 10.6
that something really new took off, and I think most users still running
an old machine had updated to 10.6 at the time. So, I have no objections
to dropping support for 10.5 which was released eleven years ago.

Best regards,
Jürgen.