please stop endless rant against case insensitive macOS file system
jfbu
2018-04-11 06:22:20 UTC
Hi,

quote from the Kpathsea manual
In particular, Apple decided to make the default filesystem on Macs be case-insensitive some years ago, and this has exacerbated a problem of people creating documents that use, say, an image under the name foo.jpg, while the actual file is named foo.JPG or Foo.jpg. It works on the Mac but if the document is transferred and run on a standard case-sensitive Unix (file)system, the file can’t be found, due only to differences in case.
This same problematic scenario has always existed on Windows, but for whatever reason, it has become much more common since Apple also went to a case-insensitive filesystem. Hence the move to change the Kpathsea behavior now.
I can not understand that. Obviously Apple opted for case-insensitivity to maintain compatibility with its older self. This was mandatory for not breaking everything when moving to Unix-like system.

That was ages ago. Now we learn that in 2018 a change happens in TeXLive distribution because of that ?

ALL cases of problem I have encountered on tex.sx originate with **WINDOWS** users.

I have always felt that supporting Mac was not on TeXLive agenda: I really needed to insist some years back to explain how **very very slow** kpsewhich behaved on it, and without Adam Maxwell's expertise and willingness to act that would **never have been solved**.

Best,

Jean-François
Norbert Preining
2018-04-11 07:59:18 UTC
Hi
Post by jfbu
I have always felt that supporting Mac was not on TeXLive agenda
Sorry, this is complete rubbish, and every developer here will tell you
the same. We have supported Macs since ages, always on the same level as
all other OS.

Please stop spreading wrong accusations.

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert http://www.preining.info
Accelia Inc. + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Developer
GPG: 0x860CDC13 fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13
Richard Koch
2018-04-11 14:24:40 UTC
Jfbu,

Karl is doing us a wonderful favor with the changes in Kpathsea. Let's say "thanks, Karl."

I'm a Mac guy, and I had to defend the machine 20 years ago when Apple was in trouble. The worse day was when the University of Oregon provost sent faculty a letter forbidding Apple purchases without his explicit permission.

So as a sort of reflex, my hair rose when I read the sentence you quoted from the Kpathsea manual. But if you reread it, as I did, all it says is that there is a lot of interaction between Mac folks and Unix folks, so Kpathsea had to be modified. That's not a rant. It's something to be proud of.

...just a friendly message from one Mac guy to another

Dick Koch
Arthur Reutenauer
2018-04-11 15:04:37 UTC
Post by jfbu
I have always felt that supporting Mac was not on TeXLive agenda: I really needed to insist some years back to explain how **very very slow** kpsewhich behaved on it
That’s not my experience at all, and I have used TeX Live on Mac OS X
since 2005.

Arthur
jfbu
2018-04-11 16:43:33 UTC
Post by jfbu
[...]

the above was a personal impression ; it may have been read as accusation as Norbert said.

Anyway, it might be that I woke up in very bad mood and should have thought twice before posting.

Not that I have changed in how I analyze things, but if it helps in any way I wish to extend my apologies to all those, Karl particularly, who might have felt offended by my personal impressions.

I appreciate all messages posted reassuring me of TeXLive commitment to MacOS,

Best

Jean-François
Reinhard Kotucha
2018-04-11 21:14:55 UTC
Anyway, it might be that I woke up in very bad mood [...]
Jean-François, you are definitely not the only one who is in a bad
mood when being forced to get up very early in the morning.

Regards,
Reinhard
Reinhard Kotucha Phone: +49-511-3373112
Marschnerstr. 25