TeX Live 2018 pretest problem with lualatex and Biolinum font
Add Reply
Thomas Krennwallner
2018-04-02 19:39:22 UTC
Hi!

I have recently upgraded to texlive 2018 pretest from Debian
experimental. My current document seems to look fine with lualatex,
except for bold sans serif text using Linux Biolinum O, which now uses a
bold italic sans serif variant instead after the upgrade. Other fonts
appear to be fine, only Biolinum has issues with boldface text.

The following example creates reasonable output with xelatex. But if I
compile with lualatex, bold sans serif text seems to use
Linux Biolinum O Bold Oblique (LinBiolinumOBO)
instead of
Linux Biolinum O Bold (LinBiolinumOB).

--- 8< --- 8< ---
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\begin{document}
{\sffamily\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O} biolinum sffamily}

{\itshape\sffamily\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O} biolinum sffamily itshape}

{\bfseries\sffamily\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O} biolinum sffamily bfseries (uses oblique with lualatex)}

{\itshape\bfseries\sffamily\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O} biolinum sffamily bfseries itshape (ignores bfseries with xelatex)}
\end{document}
--- >8 --- >8 ---

Here is the output of pdffonts:

% xelatex bio.tex
This is XeTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-0.99999 (TeX Live 2018/Debian) (preloaded format=xelatex)
[...]

% pdffonts bio.pdf
name type encoding emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- --- --- --- ---------
LFUSRL+LinBiolinumO-Identity-H CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 5 0
ESTCNE+LinBiolinumOI-Identity-H CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 7 0
AROGDP+LinBiolinumOB-Identity-H CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 9 0
VGCWVC+LMRoman10-Regular-Identity-H CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 11 0

% lualatex bio.tex
This is LuaTeX, Version 1.07.0 (TeX Live 2018/Debian)
[...]

% pdffonts bio.pdf
name type encoding emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- --- --- --- ---------
YAQTMP+LinBiolinumO CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 4 0
FGULND+LinBiolinumOI CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 5 0
NIPUHB+LinBiolinumOBO CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 6 0
JFRMQG+LMRoman10-Regular CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 7 0

Note the difference at the third font line: xelatex uses bold
LinBiolinumOB, whereas lualatex uses bold oblique LinBiolinumOBO
instead. Interestingly, xelatex ignores the boldface setting for
biolinum when I select an italic shape, which seems to be properly
approximated with lualatex using the oblique variant of biolinum. But
lualatex should have used LinBiolinumOB for the non-italic boldface
text.

I have further noticed the following difference with Biolinum:

% for s in R RB RBO ; do otfinfo -i $(kpsewhich LinBiolinum_${s}.otf) | egrep '(Unique ID|Full name)' ; done
Full name: Linux Biolinum O
Unique ID: FontForge 2.0 : Linux Biolinum O : 30-11-2017
Full name: Linux Biolinum O Bold
Unique ID: FontForge 2.0 : Linux Biolinum O Bold : 30-11-2017
Full name: Linux Biolinum O Bold Oblique
Unique ID: FontForge 2.0 : Linux Biolinum O Bold Oblique : 30-10-2012

It seems that the regular (R) and the bold (RB) variant is from
30-11-2017, whereas the bold oblique (RBO) variant is from 30-10-2012.
But I'm not sure whether this difference is important.

Cheers,
TK
Norbert Preining
2018-04-03 00:24:56 UTC
Hi Thomas,

thanks for your detailed report.

I checked and with current tlpretest (upstream TeX Live) I get the same
fonts with xelatex and lualatex.

The Debian TeX Live packages are already a bit old, lots of things have
changed since the last upload. The sources for binaries are now frozen,
and I will upload another set soon.

Please retry after I have done that.

Thanks

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert http://www.preining.info
Accelia Inc. + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Developer
GPG: 0x860CDC13 fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13
Thomas Krennwallner
2018-04-05 03:31:31 UTC
Hi Norbert,
Post by Norbert Preining
The Debian TeX Live packages are already a bit old, lots of things have
changed since the last upload. The sources for binaries are now frozen,
and I will upload another set soon.
Please retry after I have done that.
I've upgraded to texlive 2018.20180404-1, but the outcome is the same:
lualatex uses LinBiolinumOBO, while xelatex uses LinBiolinumOB.

Cheers,
TK
Daniel H. Luecking
2018-04-05 20:26:17 UTC
... if I
compile with lualatex, bold sans serif text seems to use
Linux Biolinum O Bold Oblique (LinBiolinumOBO)
instead of
Linux Biolinum O Bold (LinBiolinumOB).
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\begin{document}
{\sffamily\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O} biolinum sffamily}
{\itshape\sffamily\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O} biolinum sffamily itshape}
{\bfseries\sffamily\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O} biolinum sffamily bfseries (uses oblique with lualatex)}
{\itshape\bfseries\sffamily\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O} biolinum sffamily bfseries itshape (ignores bfseries with xelatex)}
\end{document}
I got the same results (TeXLive 2018, updated today, Windows 7). However, both of the following changes corrected the problems:

Load the libertine package instead of fontspec:
%\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{libertine}
and omit the \fontspec commands.

Or move the \fontspec commands before all the font commands. For example,
\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O}{\bfseries\sffamily

I can't explain why the original doesn't work.

Cheers,

Daniel H. Luecking
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Thomas Krennwallner
2018-04-07 05:39:56 UTC
Post by Daniel H. Luecking
%\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{libertine}
and omit the \fontspec commands.
Or move the \fontspec commands before all the font commands. For example,
\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O}{\bfseries\sffamily
Nice, thanks for the hint, this seems to fix the problem, if we don't
use \setsansfont[]{Linux Biolinum O} (see below).

I have adapted the example to

--- 8< --- 8< ---
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{biolinum}
\begin{document}
{\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O}\sffamily biolinum sffamily}

{\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O}\itshape\sffamily biolinum sffamily itshape}

{\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O}\bfseries\sffamily biolinum sffamily bfseries (uses oblique with lualatex)}

{\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O}\itshape\bfseries\sffamily biolinum sffamily bfseries itshape (ignores bfseries with xelatex)}
\end{document}
--- 8< --- 8< ---

and invoked

% lualatex bio.tex
This is LuaTeX, Version 1.07.0 (TeX Live 2018/Debian)
[...]

and got a positive result:

% pdffonts bio.pdf
name type encoding emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- --- --- --- ---------
YAQTMP+LinBiolinumO CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 4 0
FGULND+LinBiolinumOI CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 5 0
JODGAZ+LinBiolinumOB CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 6 0
FWYKIS+LinBiolinumOBO CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 7 0
JFRMQG+LMRoman10-Regular CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 8 0

Similar results with xelatex instead of lualatex.

Then, I've changed my current document to use

\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O}

before any \sffamily, but this didn't solve my problem. After some
thought, I could track down the problem to \setsansfont, which my
document contains:

\setsansfont[]{Linux Biolinum O}

If I adapt above example to include the \setsansfont statement after the
\usepackage{biolinum} line, the old problem returns. So there seems to
be some interference of biolinum and \setsansfont.

Cheers,
TK