mactex installer overwrites excalibur dictionaries
Add Reply
Sven de Vries
2018-03-24 11:55:39 UTC
Hi,

thank you for working and the 2018 update!

However, I noticed a small glitch (in my usage case):

I use the Excalibur spellchecker, that is installed in /Applications/TeX/
. However it stores its dictonaries along the binary (sadly).

Given that the mactexinstaller overwrites the /Applications/TeX-folder,
the user's dictionaries are gone thereafter. As a user, I will move my
Excalibur-Folder directly into the applicationfolder.
For the installer, it would be nice of course, if it could move the
dictionaries aside before overwriting them.

best
-sven
Richard Koch
2018-03-25 15:53:14 UTC
Hi,

We thank Sven for his bug report on the tlpretest Mac installer, which will be fixed.

Just a word to other Mac people, who read with some alarm that the installer "overwrote" personal files in /Applications/TeX. The Apple software which does the hard work of unpacking the distribution does not overwrite extra user files it doesn't recognize. Sven's problem was caused by a postinstall script I wrote which attempted to clean up /Applications/TeX and wasn't as careful as Apple. Just cleanup operations are very rare in MacTeX, for reasons that the current example makes clear.

Dick Koch