texlive 2018 doesn't work on redhat/centos 6
Add Reply
Greg' Ar Tourter
2018-04-09 00:51:44 UTC
Hi,

What is the minimum system requirement for the binaries in texlive 2018?
The reason I ask is because I have just installed pretest on one of our
server running centos6 and binaries seems to require glibc 2.14 (RH/centos
6 comes with 2.12):

running mktexlsr ...
done running mktexlsr.
running mtxrun --generate ...

tlmgr: mtxrun --generate failed (status 1), output:
texlua: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by
texlua)

kpsewhich: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by
kpsewhich)
kpsewhich: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by
kpsewhich)
kpsewhich: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by
kpsewhich)
kpsewhich: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by
kpsewhich)
kpsewhich: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by
kpsewhich)
Cannot open /web2c/updmap.cfg for writing: No such file or directory at
/opt/bridge/texlive/2018/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 2894.

Is that intentional?

Cheers

Greg
Norbert Preining
2018-04-09 01:03:57 UTC
Post by Greg' Ar Tourter
server running centos6 and binaries seems to require glibc 2.14 (RH/centos
Unfortunately it looks like it. The problem is that several programs
require C++11 standard, which is only supported in Debian/jessie and
above.
Post by Greg' Ar Tourter
Is that intentional?
So, unfortunately yes.

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert http://www.preining.info
Accelia Inc. + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Developer
GPG: 0x860CDC13 fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13
Johannes Hielscher
2018-04-09 08:47:11 UTC
Post by Norbert Preining
Post by Greg' Ar Tourter
server running centos6 and binaries seems to require glibc 2.14 (RH/centos
Unfortunately it looks like it. The problem is that several programs
require C++11 standard, which is only supported in Debian/jessie and
above.
Post by Greg' Ar Tourter
Is that intentional?
So, unfortunately yes.
Oh dear. They will maintain this already seven-years-old release for
another two years ( https://wiki.centos.org/About/Product ). IMHO, this
may be worth another cautionary \item at the top of (e. g.)
http://tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html that reads something like:

TeX Live 2018 on Linux relies on glibc>=2.14. For users of Debian<8
(jessie), RHEL/CentOS<7, SLES<12, we recommend to use TeX Live packages
provided by their distribution instead, or fall back to (frozen) <a
href="ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2017/install-tl-unx.tar.gz">TeX
Live 2017</a>.

Not happy about recommending de-facto deprecated versions. (How long
will the mirrors actually provide the 2017 binary packages?) But
arguably better than users continuing to stumble upon this.

The minimum glibc prerequisite should be at least included in the
release notes/notable changes.

The listing on the Quick Install page might also be a place for Simon's
RPi page.

Best,
Johannes
Zdenek Wagner
2018-04-09 08:50:26 UTC
Post by Johannes Hielscher
Post by Greg' Ar Tourter
Is that intentional?
So, unfortunately yes.
Oh dear. They will maintain this already seven-years-old release for
another two years ( https://wiki.centos.org/About/Product ). IMHO, this
may be worth another cautionary \item at the top of (e. g.)
TeX Live 2018 on Linux relies on glibc>=2.14. For users of Debian<8
(jessie), RHEL/CentOS<7, SLES<12, we recommend to use TeX Live packages
provided by their distribution instead, or fall back to (frozen) <a
href="ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2017/install-tl-unx.tar.gz
">TeX
Live 2017</a>.
I have just installed TL 2018 successfully on CentOS 7. I will not use it
there,
I just wanted to test whether it works.
Post by Johannes Hielscher
Not happy about recommending de-facto deprecated versions. (How long
will the mirrors actually provide the 2017 binary packages?) But
arguably better than users continuing to stumble upon this.
The minimum glibc prerequisite should be at least included in the
release notes/notable changes.
The listing on the Quick Install page might also be a place for Simon's
RPi page.
Best,
Johannes
Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz
Mojca Miklavec
2018-04-09 08:56:09 UTC
Post by Johannes Hielscher
Not happy about recommending de-facto deprecated versions. (How long
will the mirrors actually provide the 2017 binary packages?)
They are gone as soon as 2018 gets released.

Users can only install from an ISO image unless archives stay
somewhere on historic tug archive.

Mojca
Reinhard Kotucha
2018-04-09 20:57:20 UTC
Post by Mojca Miklavec
Post by Johannes Hielscher
Not happy about recommending de-facto deprecated versions. (How
long will the mirrors actually provide the 2017 binary packages?)
They are gone as soon as 2018 gets released.
Users can only install from an ISO image unless archives stay
somewhere on historic tug archive.
The most obvious solution is to use the TeX Live packages provided by
CentOS itself. The majority of TeX users isn't aware of the latest
stuff anyway and just do what's described in the books, which are not
up-to-date either. However, people can still download TL-2017 ISO
images from

ftp://ftp.tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/

if desired as you already mentioned. I can't speak for Karl, who is
maintaining the server, but I can't imagine that anything will be
removed during this millenium.

Furthermore, though it's a pity that important programs/libraries are
not kept up-to-date in CentOS, the long term (10 years) support is
great if your main intent is to host virtual machines. This is why I
installed CentOS 7 on the new machine I bought last year. CentOS is
not my favorite system but it's fine in this case.

Regards,
Reinhard
Reinhard Kotucha Phone: +49-511-3373112
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover mailto:***@web.de
Philip Taylor (RHUoL)
2018-04-09 21:17:36 UTC
<head>
charset=ISO-8859-1">
</head>
cite="mid:***@gargle.gargle.HOWL">
<pre wrap="">I can't imagine that anything will be removed during this millenium.
</pre>
Wow.  Now that <i>is</i> a prediction that none of us will live to
see fulfilled !<br>
** Phil.<br>
Karl Berry
2018-04-09 23:23:59 UTC
They will maintain this already seven-years-old release for
another two years

I'm as unhappy about losing CentOS6 (and who knows what other older
distros) support as anyone. However, ICU and Poppler both decided to
require C++11 in their current releases, and there was no feasible way
to handle that without using a newer build system.

I've noticed that other programs also started to fail on CentOS6. Chrome
was one I remember, probably other browsers and other "big"
programs. Even with my rather minimal needs, I had to move to CentOS7 :(.

http://tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html that reads something like:

Not quickinstall, but bugs.html. Will think about other avenues too.

If quickinstall tried to list every caveat on every system, it would no
longer be about installing (or quick) ... -k