tlmgr misses xecyr on non-win32
Add Reply
Johannes Hielscher
2018-04-06 23:18:54 UTC
Hi,

tlmgr platform add {x86_64-linux,aarch64-linux,amd64-freebsd}
drops non-fatal errors if binaries do not exist for the new target.
For asymptote, depending on availability, this is little wonder. But
now (at least this got my attention for the first time), I experienced
"problems" with xecyr:

[…]
tlmgr: action platform add, cannot find package
xecyr.aarch64-linux
[…]
tlmgr: action platform returned an error; continuing.
tlmgr: An error has occurred. See above messages. Exiting.

According to trunk/Master/tlpkg/tlpsrc/xecyr.tlpsrc, xecyr upstream only
provides binaries (batch scripts) for win32, that are obviously
irrelevant for other platforms.
With this in mind, are these kinds of (somewhat pointless) errors
intentional? I don't remember how tlmgr behaved in the last years.

$ tlmgr --version
tlmgr revision 47303 (2018-04-05 19:52:22 +0200)
tlmgr using installation: /mnt/2018
TeX Live (http://tug.org/texlive) version 2018

Best,
Johannes
Karl Berry
2018-04-07 22:18:49 UTC
Hi Johannes,

tlmgr: action platform add, cannot find package
xecyr.aarch64-linux

I surmise "platform add" is a rare enough case that it simply hasn't
been noticed before. (Maybe it happens in other cases too, and/or people
haven't noticed and/or taken the time to report it. All seem plausible.)

Anyway, it does seem like the lack of xecyr.* for all non-w32 should not
be considered a problem. How easy or painful that is to change, I'll
leave to Norbert. My inclination at this point is not to change anything
in this regard until after the release ... --thanks, karl.