new Unicode ICU library release
Nelson H. F. Beebe
2018-10-16 20:08:30 UTC
ICU LogoUnicode® ICU 63 has just been released. It updates to CLDR 34
<http://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads/cldr-34> locale data with many
additions and corrections, and some new languages. ICU adds an API for
number and currency /range/ formatting, and an API for additional
Unicode properties and for constructing custom properties. CLDR and ICU
include data for testing readiness for the upcoming Japanese calendar era.
ICU is a software library widely used by products and other libraries
<http://site.icu-project.org/#TOC-Who-Uses-ICU-> to support the world's
languages, implementing both the latest version of the Unicode encoding
standard and of the Unicode locale data (CLDR).
For details please see http://site.icu-project.org/download/63.
http://blog.unicode.org/2018/10/icu-63-released.html
We need to find out whether we can, or should, use that new libicu for
the upcoming TeX Live 2019 season.

- Nelson H. F. Beebe Tel: +1 801 581 5254 -
- University of Utah FAX: +1 801 581 4148 -
- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB Internet e-mail: ***@math.utah.edu -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233 ***@acm.org ***@computer.org -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/ -
2018-10-16 21:08:02 UTC
http://blog.unicode.org/2018/10/icu-63-released.html
We need to find out whether we can, or should, use that new libicu for
the upcoming TeX Live 2019 season.

I would expect so. As long as it doesn't require C++14, which I see no
sign of (yay).

Akira found that the latest poppler release does need C++14. I have
hopes that we will be able to drop poppler completely, since that
requirement is madness. --thanks, karl.