ducksay auxiliary files
Jonathan Spratte
2018-09-22 09:46:15 UTC
In revision 48729 the new release of `ducksay` got included into TeX Live.
Unfortunately the 3 auxiliary files `ducksay.code.v1.tex`, `ducksay.code.v2.tex`
and `ducksay.animals.tex` got installed into the doc tree. Those 3 files are
necessary for the package to function properly and should be put into
`tex/latex/ducksay/` instead.

Also is there anything I can do during packaging to prevent such misplacements
in future packages and/or releases of mine?

Best regards,
Jonathan
Manfred Lotz
2018-09-22 10:52:12 UTC
On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 11:46:15 +0200
Post by Jonathan Spratte
Also is there anything I can do during packaging to prevent such
misplacements in future packages and/or releases of mine?
I guess the maintainers of miktex and texlive rely either on
documentation or on their looking glasses supported by their
experiences. The latter might fail though...

As I can imagine that the maintainers take a look into the README file
I'd recommend to mention it there?
Manfred
Joseph Wright
2018-09-22 10:55:26 UTC
Post by Jonathan Spratte
Also is there anything I can do during packaging to prevent such
misplacements in future packages and/or releases of mine?
I guess the maintainers of miktex and texlive rely either on
documentation or on their looking glasses supported by their
experiences. The latter might fail though...
Upload a TDS-style zip to CTAN? Then the system maintainers can just use
that, and the layout is down to the uploader.

Joseph
Manfred Lotz
2018-09-22 11:11:09 UTC
Post by Jonathan Spratte
Also is there anything I can do during packaging to prevent such
misplacements in future packages and/or releases of mine?
I guess the maintainers of miktex and texlive rely either on
documentation or on their looking glasses supported by their
experiences. The latter might fail though...
Upload a TDS-style zip to CTAN? Then the system maintainers can just
use that, and the layout is down to the uploader.
Joseph
Yes, this is another possibility.

We usually don't recommend it for such small packages because in the
past it had caused Karl more work if the TDS zip archive wasn't
packaged correctly. The same presumably for Christian Schenk.
Manfred
Joseph Wright
2018-09-22 11:12:21 UTC
Post by Manfred Lotz
We usually don't recommend it for such small packages because in the
past it had caused Karl more work if the TDS zip archive wasn't
packaged correctly. The same presumably for Christian Schenk.
Sure, but here there was obvious some confusion, so it's not a one-file
package ...

Joseph
Karl Berry
2018-09-22 20:42:42 UTC
Upload a TDS-style zip to CTAN?

I much prefer to get an email from an author telling me how I messed up
so I can fix it than to have them prepare a .tds.zip. When summed over
all authors and all packages and all releases, it winds up being less
effort (both for me and for authors) that way. -k
Karl Berry
2018-09-22 21:24:51 UTC
Hi Jonathan,

the 3 auxiliary files `ducksay.code.v1.tex`,

Sorry for my mistake. Fixed for tonight.

Also is there anything I can do during packaging to prevent such
misplacements

Manfred's suggestion of putting succinct information into the README
(run dtx, then *.sty and *.tex -> tex/latex/ducksay) seems like the best
to me. Although I cannot promise that I will not make mistakes even so.

Also, instructions are only important when files are added or removed
from the runtime. As long as it's only the content of files that
changes, I just blindly update them anyway ...

thanks,
karl