Discussion:
A Simple Recommendation
(too old to reply)
Lahcene ROUANI
2018-09-20 23:44:14 UTC
Permalink
Dear Developers,

I hope you are doing good.

I am new in TeX and LaTeX, I was working in the Windows environment using
MiKTeX and TeXstudio. I recently switched to Ubuntu OS (18.04) I installed
TeXLive and TeXstudio many times because of a problem of not being able to
compile a simple file. Until I found this incredible answer here
<https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/177073/165284>.

My request to you, dear Contributors, is: I really want you to implement
this feature in the upcoming releases of TeXLive. It really is helpful. It
took me a lot of time to find this solution.

Because I am a newbie, this recommendation might be abnormal. If so, I
really am sorry about that. Yet I appreciate your time and effort in
creating and maintaining this gigantic piece of software.

Best regads.
--
Lahcene
Norbert Preining
2018-09-20 23:58:20 UTC
Permalink
Hi Lahcene,

thanks for your message.

> TeXLive and TeXstudio many times because of a problem of not being able to
> compile a simple file. Until I found this incredible answer here
> <https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/177073/165284>.

This is completely unrelated out of the following reasons:
* you originally posted that you installed TeX Live from TUG into
/usr/local/texlive/2012
* you installed only the basic, which, by its description, does not
provide a full environment. We strongly suggest installing the
default texlive-full.
* the answer you linked to is about installing the Debian/Ubuntu version
of TeX Live, which is again something different.

So, without going down to details, I guess what has happened:
- you installed TeX Live from TUG into /usr/local/texlive/2012
- you did NOT adjust the PATH setting globally (in /etc/profile or
similar) but locally in ~/.bashrc or similar
- you started TeXstudio from your Desktop Environment, but there your
local PATH settings did not take effect
- TeXstudio couldn't find any tex because, well, as I wrote, it is
not in the PATH
- you called "apt-get install texlive-fonts-recommended" which installed
TeX Live from Debian/Ubuntu into /usr/bin, which is in the PATH of
the default desktop environment
- TeXstudio now uses the TeX Live from Debian/Ubuntu in /usr/bin instead
of the one you installed in /usr/local/texlive/2012

Anyway, there are many answers on tex.sx about this, and this is nothing
*we* as TeX Live developers can fix for you, because it is your computer
and we cannot do magic tricks there.

Best

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert http://www.preining.info
Accelia Inc. + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Developer
GPG: 0x860CDC13 fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13
Lahcene ROUANI
2018-09-21 00:43:55 UTC
Permalink
Thank you for your reply.

I want to mention that many answers in the Tex.se site are misleading. One
reason is that You have gave me good information about setting a path
locally or globally. I didn't came across any of this before.

Well. I have installed the TeXlive from DVD (3.48 GB), which I am sure that
it installed everything.

My problem is that I probably didn't set the path correctly. Could you
give some directions about how to set the path globally in Ubuntu 18.04 .
And about refreshing the file name database. And how can I check all of
that.

Because I am having a problem of missing packages and classes which I have
checked that they are located in use/local/texlive/2018/.....

Best regards

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018, 00:58 Norbert Preining <***@logic.at> wrote:

> Hi Lahcene,
>
> thanks for your message.
>
> > TeXLive and TeXstudio many times because of a problem of not being able
> to
> > compile a simple file. Until I found this incredible answer here
> > <https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/177073/165284>.
>
> This is completely unrelated out of the following reasons:
> * you originally posted that you installed TeX Live from TUG into
> /usr/local/texlive/2012
> * you installed only the basic, which, by its description, does not
> provide a full environment. We strongly suggest installing the
> default texlive-full.
> * the answer you linked to is about installing the Debian/Ubuntu version
> of TeX Live, which is again something different.
>
> So, without going down to details, I guess what has happened:
> - you installed TeX Live from TUG into /usr/local/texlive/2012
> - you did NOT adjust the PATH setting globally (in /etc/profile or
> similar) but locally in ~/.bashrc or similar
> - you started TeXstudio from your Desktop Environment, but there your
> local PATH settings did not take effect
> - TeXstudio couldn't find any tex because, well, as I wrote, it is
> not in the PATH
> - you called "apt-get install texlive-fonts-recommended" which installed
> TeX Live from Debian/Ubuntu into /usr/bin, which is in the PATH of
> the default desktop environment
> - TeXstudio now uses the TeX Live from Debian/Ubuntu in /usr/bin instead
> of the one you installed in /usr/local/texlive/2012
>
> Anyway, there are many answers on tex.sx about this, and this is nothing
> *we* as TeX Live developers can fix for you, because it is your computer
> and we cannot do magic tricks there.
>
> Best
>
> Norbert
>
> --
> PREINING Norbert http://www.preining.info
> Accelia Inc. + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Developer
> GPG: 0x860CDC13 fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13
>
Norbert Preining
2018-09-21 01:00:24 UTC
Permalink
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018, Lahcene ROUANI wrote:
> My problem is that I probably didn't set the path correctly. Could you
> give some directions about how to set the path globally in Ubuntu 18.04 .
> And about refreshing the file name database. And how can I check all of
> that.

It depends on your architecture, look into
/usr/local/texlive/2012/bin/
and add the directory found there, most probably you have
/usr/local/texlive/2012/bin/x86_64-linux

Then add a file /etc/profile.d/texlive.sh containing
PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2012/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH
export PATH

Log out/reboot and your system should use the TeX Live from TUG. Test it
by running
which tex
which should give you
/usr/local/texlive/2012/bin/x86_64-linux/tex

Best

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert http://www.preining.info
Accelia Inc. + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Developer
GPG: 0x860CDC13 fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13
Zdenek Wagner
2018-09-21 07:53:29 UTC
Permalink
pá 21. 9. 2018 v 2:45 odesílatel Lahcene ROUANI
<***@gmail.com> napsal:
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I want to mention that many answers in the Tex.se site are misleading. One reason is that You have gave me good information about setting a path locally or globally. I didn't came across any of this before.
>
Setting PATH (or environment in general) is rather a Linux topic, it
is not TeX Live specific. Console applications take settings from
~/.bashrc while GUI programs from ~/.bash_profile. Thus if you set
PATH in ~/.bashrc, TL will work from the terminal but not from TeX
Studio. On my computer .bash_profile reads .bashrc so that I have the
same settings on both places. However, to make the changes visible in
the terminal it is sufficient to start the terminal od even by:

. ~/.bashrc

In order to make it visible in GUI apps you have to restart GUI either
by logging off and on or by Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

...
Best regards
>
Zdeněk Wagner
http://ttsm.icpf.cas.cz/team/wagner.shtml
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz
Lars Madsen
2018-09-21 07:59:05 UTC
Permalink
itsn't it rather .profile than .bash_profile?

I have no .bash_profile on my Ubuntu.

But my .profile, does execute my .bashrc


/Lars Madsen
Institut for Matematik / Department of Mathematics
Aarhus Universitet / Aarhus University
Mere info: http://au.dk/***@math / More information: http://au.dk/en/***@math


________________________________________
From: tex-live <tex-live-bounces+daleif=***@tug.org> on behalf of Zdenek Wagner <***@gmail.com>
Sent: 21 September 2018 09:53
To: ***@gmail.com
Cc: TeX Live; Norbert Preining
Subject: Re: [tex-live] A Simple Recommendation

pá 21. 9. 2018 v 2:45 odesílatel Lahcene ROUANI
<***@gmail.com> napsal:
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I want to mention that many answers in the Tex.se site are misleading. One reason is that You have gave me good information about setting a path locally or globally. I didn't came across any of this before.
>
Setting PATH (or environment in general) is rather a Linux topic, it
is not TeX Live specific. Console applications take settings from
~/.bashrc while GUI programs from ~/.bash_profile. Thus if you set
PATH in ~/.bashrc, TL will work from the terminal but not from TeX
Studio. On my computer .bash_profile reads .bashrc so that I have the
same settings on both places. However, to make the changes visible in
the terminal it is sufficient to start the terminal od even by:

. ~/.bashrc

In order to make it visible in GUI apps you have to restart GUI either
by logging off and on or by Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

...
Best regards
>
Zdeněk Wagner
http://ttsm.icpf.cas.cz/team/wagner.shtml
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz
Zdenek Wagner
2018-09-21 08:07:27 UTC
Permalink
It is really .bash_profile in CentOS and Fedora, maybe it is distro
specific. And, of course, the following code is my customization:

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
. ~/.bashrc
fi

Zdeněk Wagner
http://ttsm.icpf.cas.cz/team/wagner.shtml
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz
pá 21. 9. 2018 v 9:59 odesílatel Lars Madsen <***@math.au.dk> napsal:
>
> itsn't it rather .profile than .bash_profile?
>
> I have no .bash_profile on my Ubuntu.
>
> But my .profile, does execute my .bashrc
>
>
> /Lars Madsen
> Institut for Matematik / Department of Mathematics
> Aarhus Universitet / Aarhus University
> Mere info: http://au.dk/***@math / More information: http://au.dk/en/***@math
>
>
> ________________________________________
> From: tex-live <tex-live-bounces+daleif=***@tug.org> on behalf of Zdenek Wagner <***@gmail.com>
> Sent: 21 September 2018 09:53
> To: ***@gmail.com
> Cc: TeX Live; Norbert Preining
> Subject: Re: [tex-live] A Simple Recommendation
>
> pá 21. 9. 2018 v 2:45 odesílatel Lahcene ROUANI
> <***@gmail.com> napsal:
> >
> > Thank you for your reply.
> >
> > I want to mention that many answers in the Tex.se site are misleading. One reason is that You have gave me good information about setting a path locally or globally. I didn't came across any of this before.
> >
> Setting PATH (or environment in general) is rather a Linux topic, it
> is not TeX Live specific. Console applications take settings from
> ~/.bashrc while GUI programs from ~/.bash_profile. Thus if you set
> PATH in ~/.bashrc, TL will work from the terminal but not from TeX
> Studio. On my computer .bash_profile reads .bashrc so that I have the
> same settings on both places. However, to make the changes visible in
> the terminal it is sufficient to start the terminal od even by:
>
> . ~/.bashrc
>
> In order to make it visible in GUI apps you have to restart GUI either
> by logging off and on or by Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.
>
> ...
> Best regards
> >
> Zdeněk Wagner
> http://ttsm.icpf.cas.cz/team/wagner.shtml
> http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz
>
Manfred Lotz
2018-09-21 08:15:35 UTC
Permalink
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 07:59:05 +0000
Lars Madsen <***@math.au.dk> wrote:

> itsn't it rather .profile than .bash_profile?
>

It is a bit more complicated. Here an excerpt from bash's man page
which gives you an idea:

When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a
non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads and
executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists.
After reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login,
and ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from
the first one that exists and is readable. The --noprofile option
may be used when the shell is started to inhibit this behavior.
...


--
Manfred


> I have no .bash_profile on my Ubuntu.
>
> But my .profile, does execute my .bashrc
>
>
> /Lars Madsen
> Institut for Matematik / Department of Mathematics
> Aarhus Universitet / Aarhus University
> Mere info: http://au.dk/***@math / More information:
> http://au.dk/en/***@math
>
>
> ________________________________________
> From: tex-live <tex-live-bounces+daleif=***@tug.org> on behalf
> of Zdenek Wagner <***@gmail.com> Sent: 21 September 2018
> 09:53 To: ***@gmail.com
> Cc: TeX Live; Norbert Preining
> Subject: Re: [tex-live] A Simple Recommendation
>
> pá 21. 9. 2018 v 2:45 odesílatel Lahcene ROUANI
> <***@gmail.com> napsal:
> >
> > Thank you for your reply.
> >
> > I want to mention that many answers in the Tex.se site are
> > misleading. One reason is that You have gave me good information
> > about setting a path locally or globally. I didn't came across any
> > of this before.
> Setting PATH (or environment in general) is rather a Linux topic, it
> is not TeX Live specific. Console applications take settings from
> ~/.bashrc while GUI programs from ~/.bash_profile. Thus if you set
> PATH in ~/.bashrc, TL will work from the terminal but not from TeX
> Studio. On my computer .bash_profile reads .bashrc so that I have the
> same settings on both places. However, to make the changes visible in
> the terminal it is sufficient to start the terminal od even by:
>
> . ~/.bashrc
>
> In order to make it visible in GUI apps you have to restart GUI either
> by logging off and on or by Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.
>
> ...
> Best regards
> >
> Zdeněk Wagner
> http://ttsm.icpf.cas.cz/team/wagner.shtml
> http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz
>
>
Norbert Preining
2018-09-21 08:35:44 UTC
Permalink
> It is a bit more complicated. Here an excerpt from bash's man page
> which gives you an idea:

It is a huge pain ... the fun of bash initialization has hounted me many
times.

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert http://www.preining.info
Accelia Inc. + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Developer
GPG: 0x860CDC13 fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13
Paul Vojta
2018-09-21 19:35:50 UTC
Permalink
Dear Lahcene ROUANI,

Did you install TeXLive directly from TeXLive (e.g., from the TL DVD or
over the web), or did you install the texlive-full Ubuntu package?

It would have been better to do the latter, since that is set up specifically
for Ubuntu.

Sincerely,


Paul Vojta


On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 01:44:14AM +0200, Lahcene ROUANI wrote:
> Dear Developers,
>
> I hope you are doing good.
>
> I am new in TeX and LaTeX, I was working in the Windows environment using
> MiKTeX and TeXstudio. I recently switched to Ubuntu OS (18.04) I installed
> TeXLive and TeXstudio many times because of a problem of not being able to
> compile a simple file. Until I found this incredible answer here
> <https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/177073/165284>.
>
> My request to you, dear Contributors, is: I really want you to implement
> this feature in the upcoming releases of TeXLive. It really is helpful. It
> took me a lot of time to find this solution.
>
> Because I am a newbie, this recommendation might be abnormal. If so, I
> really am sorry about that. Yet I appreciate your time and effort in
> creating and maintaining this gigantic piece of software.
>
> Best regads.
> --
> Lahcene
Karl Berry
2018-09-21 21:41:50 UTC
Permalink
It is really .bash_profile in CentOS and Fedora,

Not at all. It depends entirely on the user's login shell. It has
nothing to do with the distro.

.bash_profile is read only by bash.
.profile is read by bash, but also by the original Bourne shell,
and probably others. (Logically, all Bourne-compatible shells should
read it, but since when does logic mean anything ...)

There are similar considerations for .bashrc, which is bash-specific.
(There is no equivalent "generic" file.)

As already mentioned, this is not a TeX Live topic ... --karl
Loading...