LuaTeX/ Filenames with accented characters on Windows
Patrick Gundlach
2018-09-30 17:48:46 UTC
Hello all,

I have problems with LuaTeX 1.0.7 from TeXlive using Windows 7, 32 bits. I try to load an image with

img.scan{...}

! error: (pdf backend): reading image file 'Z:\foo\cöw.pdf' failed
! ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

See this mail to the LuaTeX mailing list:

https://tug.org/pipermail/luatex/2018-September/006953.html

and it's follow-up

https://tug.org/pipermail/luatex/2018-September/006954.html

which suggests that I should ask here, since there seems no problem with MikTeX's version of LuaTeX.

The code that is used (I don't have a TeXlive 2018 installation on windows) is

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}%
\directlua{
a = img.write({ filename = "cöw.pdf"})
}
\end{document}

Is there anything I can do about it?

Patrick
Akira Kakuto
2018-09-30 22:29:18 UTC
Post by Patrick Gundlach
which suggests that I should ask here, since there seems
no problem with MikTeX's version of LuaTeX.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
TeX Live version of LuaTeX on windows does not support
non-ascii file names. Please use MikTeX.

Best,
Akira
Patrick Gundlach
2018-10-01 05:42:18 UTC
Post by Akira Kakuto
Post by Patrick Gundlach
which suggests that I should ask here, since there seems
no problem with MikTeX's version of LuaTeX.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
TeX Live version of LuaTeX on windows does not support
non-ascii file names. Please use MikTeX.
Hello Akira,

thanks for the answer. The follow-up question is of course:

is there a chance that this will be supported in the future? Is there anything we could do to support this?

Patrick
Akira Kakuto
2018-10-01 08:17:04 UTC
Post by Patrick Gundlach
is there a chance that this will be supported in the future?
I just now have updated lua[jit]tex for w32 in TeX Live 2018.
If you install TeX Live 2018 after a few days,
I hope that

lualatex -cmdx test.tex
works for

%
% test.tex (encoding should be utf-8)
%
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}%
\directlua{
a = img.write({ filename = "cöw.pdf"})
}
\end{document}

The option "-cmdx" should be the first option,
otherwise it is simply ignored, and non-ascii
file names do not work.

Best,
Akira
Patrick Gundlach
2018-10-01 08:19:34 UTC
Hello Akira,
Post by Akira Kakuto
Post by Patrick Gundlach
is there a chance that this will be supported in the future?
I just now have updated lua[jit]tex for w32 in TeX Live 2018.
If you install TeX Live 2018 after a few days,
I will try it and report back. Thank you so much so far!

Patrick
Patrick Gundlach
2018-10-04 19:37:04 UTC
Hello Akira,
Post by Akira Kakuto
I just now have updated lua[jit]tex for w32 in TeX Live 2018.
If you install TeX Live 2018 after a few days,
I hope that
lualatex -cmdx test.tex
works for

all my test were without problems. Thank you so much! I have used the file

luajittex-dev-w32.tar.xz

from CTAN.

Patrick