[tex-live] xetex segfault in "TeX Live 2019/dev/Debian"?
Ulrike Fischer
2018-11-16 13:33:21 UTC
There seem to be a source for "TeX Live 2019/dev/Debian" somewhere
and one user on ubuntu 16.04. reported in the comments a segfault
for xelatex:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/460247/xelatex-doesnt-work-in-texstudio

This is XeTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-0.99999 (TeX Live
2019/dev/Debian) (preloaded format=xelatex) restricted \write18
enabled. entering extended mode (./sample.tex LaTeX2e <2018-04-01>
patch level 4 Babel <3.20> and hyphenation patterns for 3
language(s) loaded.
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls Document
Class: article 2014/09/29 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.cloSegmentation
fault (core dumped)

(while the binaries looks ahead of their time, latex and babel are
not up-to-date).
--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
Norbert Preining
2018-11-16 17:38:01 UTC
Hi Ulrike,
Post by Ulrike Fischer
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/460247/xelatex-doesnt-work-in-texstudio
I read through the issue there, and it seems that
it works on the terminal
but
breaks in texworks

I can only imagine that there is a difference in invocation. I have
tried several documents on the command line and all of them worked, so I
am not really sure what texworks is doing.

Best

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert http://www.preining.info
Accelia Inc. + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Developer
GPG: 0x860CDC13 fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13
Zdenek Wagner
2018-11-16 20:34:05 UTC
Hi all,

if this is the case, it can also be a matter of different environment
setting and/or different PATH for the termina, and GUI. This is probably
the most frequent reason of such problems in Linux.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz
Hi Ulrike,
Ulrike Fischer
2018-11-17 09:55:27 UTC
Post by Norbert Preining
Hi Ulrike,
Post by Ulrike Fischer
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/460247/xelatex-doesnt-work-in-texstudio
I read through the issue there, and it seems that
it works on the terminal
but
breaks in texworks
I'm not sure. In the comments it sounds as if it breaks also on the
terminal, but not for every file. Some unknown file seemed to work,
but with sample2e it broke: "when i type the command: xelatex
sample.tex in terminal, ... "

But if he really mixed binaries from different version than probably
nothing can be done anyway.

Btw: The segfault is at the place where on windows I would expect
the recreation of the font cache (if xetex detects new fonts).
--
Ulrike Fischer
https://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
Norbert Preining
2018-11-17 10:40:24 UTC
Hi Ulrike,
Post by Ulrike Fischer
I'm not sure. In the comments it sounds as if it breaks also on the
terminal, but not for every file. Some unknown file seemed to work,
Mumumu, not very helpful without an actual test case.
Post by Ulrike Fischer
But if he really mixed binaries from different version than probably
nothing can be done anyway.
Yes, that is what I expect.
Post by Ulrike Fischer
Btw: The segfault is at the place where on windows I would expect
the recreation of the font cache (if xetex detects new fonts).
There is another item, that was fixed like 2 days after the first
release by uploading a new version of texlive-bin: luatex 1.09
from current svn is just borked wrt to context (or the other way round,
hard to say, anyway, luatex breaks backwards compatibility from
1.07 to 1.09, which is IMNSHO a really stupid thing). I uploaded
a new version of texlive-binaries that reverts to 1.07 of luatex,
so it *might* be that there something involved with luatex, but
since it is a *xetex* issue, that sounds more like a stupid theory than
reality.

Best

Norbert

Ulrike Fischer
2018-11-17 11:48:14 UTC
luatex 1.09 from current svn is just borked wrt to context (or the
other way round, hard to say, anyway, luatex breaks backwards
compatibility from 1.07 to 1.09, which is IMNSHO a really stupid
thing).
Can you tell me in which way it broked compatibility?

(miktex updated to luatex 1.09, and it will be in the next texlive,
so any problem should better be handled as soon as possible ...)
Norbert Preining
2018-11-17 15:26:32 UTC
Hi Ulrike,
Post by Ulrike Fischer
Can you tell me in which way it broked compatibility?
luatools --make cont-en hangs.

luatools --make cont-en
resolvers | formats | executing runner 'make luatex format': luatex --ini
--lua=/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mkiv/luat-cod.lua /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-en.mkiv \dump
This is LuaTeX, Version 1.09.0 (TeX Live 2019/dev/Debian) (INITEX)
system commands enabled.
error in callback: /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mkiv/luat-cod.lua:166: attempt to call upvalue 'isfile' (a
nil value)
.
<insert>

<*> ...hare/texmf/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-en.mkiv
dump

At least this is what I see.

I reported it to Hans, Taco, Mojca, but never got an answer.

Best

Norbert

Ulrike Fischer
2018-11-17 15:58:06 UTC
Post by Norbert Preining
Post by Ulrike Fischer
Can you tell me in which way it broked compatibility?
luatools --make cont-en hangs.
Ah. context. Yes, context and luatex are like the biber/biblatex
combo: When you update one side you should update the other too.
Norbert Preining
2018-11-17 23:51:50 UTC
Post by Ulrike Fischer
Ah. context. Yes, context and luatex are like the biber/biblatex
combo: When you update one side you should update the other too.
Well, I expected that this does not happen on updates from
1.07 to 1.09
, but seemingly context/luatex developers have a different attitude
towards software engineering than me.

Best

Norbert