babel Portuguese package name misspelled?
Vasco Almeida
2018-01-10 20:43:02 UTC
The Portuguese babel packages is babel-portuges. I would expect it to
be babel-portuguese instead. Either way I have a file with the
following rows.
\documentclass[portuguese,a4paper]{europasscv}
\usepackage[portuguese]{babel}
When I issue pdflatex cv_pt.tex, I read the following warning and it
seems the hyphenation is not working.
Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were preloaded for
(babel) the language `Portuguese' into the format.
(babel) Please, configure your TeX system to add them and
(babel) rebuild the format. Now I will use the patterns
(babel) preloaded for english instead on input line 55.
I tried with \usepackage[portuges]{babel} also.

In /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel-
portuges/portuges.ldf file there is this rows and other instances of
"portuges" and also portuguese.
\ProvidesLanguage{portuges}
[2008/03/18 v1.2q Portuguese support from the babel system]
Can you shed some light on this? Is this a bug?
Karl Berry
2018-01-12 00:48:27 UTC
The Portuguese babel packages is babel-portuges. I would expect it to
be babel-portuguese instead.

That's the package name on CTAN, https://ctan.org/pkg/babel-portuges.
If you want to request changing it, please write CTAN and the babel
maintainer.
\documentclass[portuguese,a4paper]{europasscv}
\usepackage[portuguese]{babel}
Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were preloaded for
(babel) the language `Portuguese' into the format.
It works for me with vanilla TL (which loads all available hyphenation
patterns).

In /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel-
portuges/portuges.ldf file ...
From /usr/share/..., I surmise you are using distro TeX, not the
original TL. Please look at your distro doc/report to distro maintainers.

BTW, your mailer is apparently making incorrect line breaks at hyphens.
--best, karl.