problem with texdoc
Pablo Alfonso González Luengo
2018-11-10 15:48:57 UTC
Hello everyone, after the last update (windows/linux) to use texdoc it
seems that something is not quite right. For example, if it is executed:
$ texdoc 1234
show README for rumakeindex, and if executed again (two o more times) show
a diferent files.
Saludos
Justin C. Walker
2018-11-10 17:25:44 UTC
Post by Pablo Alfonso González Luengo
$ texdoc 1234
show README for rumakeindex, and if executed again (two o more times) show a diferent files.
I can confirm the behavior. It shows up for me on macOS 10.13.6. My most recent update was on October 29, FWIW.

And also, I have, in the last 4-5 days, used texdoc successfully, so that, e.g., “texdoc latex” or “makeindex” displays something reasonable, even if I run it several times.

Must have something to do with the argument.

HTH

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
-----------
Reinhard Kotucha
2018-11-10 23:59:17 UTC
Post by Pablo Alfonso González Luengo
Hello everyone, after the last update (windows/linux) to use texdoc
it seems that something is not quite right. For example, if it is
executed: $ texdoc 1234 show README for rumakeindex, and if
executed again (two o more times) show a diferent files. Saludos
What do you expect if you type "texdoc 1234"?

Recent versions of texdoc support fuzzy search and even return
something if there is a typo in the search string.

What I absolutely don't understand is why every invocation provides a
different result. Yes, I can reproduce the behavior.

BTW, there is a dedicated mailing list for texdoc

but AFAIK Takuto is listening here as well.

Regards,
Reinhard
Reinhard Kotucha Phone: +49-511-3373112
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover mailto:***@web.de
Pablo Alfonso González Luengo
2018-11-11 17:35:46 UTC
Post by Reinhard Kotucha
What do you expect if you type "texdoc 1234"?
Truthfully, I expected it to throw a "no-found-nothing" error or to show
me a list of names that contained "1234" ... it was just an example
Post by Reinhard Kotucha
Recent versions of texdoc support fuzzy search and even return
something if there is a typo in the search string.
This is new, I had not noticed
Post by Reinhard Kotucha
What I absolutely don't understand is why every invocation provides a
different result. Yes, I can reproduce the behavior.
BTW, there is a dedicated mailing list for texdoc
http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/texdoc
but AFAIK Takuto is listening here as well.
Nor had I noticed that "texdoc" had a list of its own (a thousand
apologies).
In windows the situation is a bit different, besides showing different
files in
each call, if it is done with administrator privileges (using cmd) it
throws
a "many windows open" error.
Saludos
Takuto ASAKURA
2018-11-13 01:03:47 UTC
Hi,
Post by Pablo Alfonso González Luengo
Truthfully, I expected it to throw a "no-found-nothing" error
If you want to disable the fuzzy search feature, you can set

fuzzy_level = 0

in your own texdoc.cnf. Please see the documentation for the details.

The reason that Texdoc gives different results for each invocation is that
the program selects the final result randomly from the candidates which have
the same Levenshtein distances to the (mistyped) input keyword; this is
because it is impossible to decide the best one in those candidates.
Post by Pablo Alfonso González Luengo
In windows the situation is a bit different, besides showing different files in
each call, if it is done with administrator privileges (using cmd) it throws
a "many windows open" error.
On the other hand, I heard this issue for the first time. It seems that this
problem is NOT related to the fuzzy search feature.

I examined a bit on my Windows PC and found that a "Too many argument in
command line" error always occur for `texdoc 2up`. Is this the problem you're
talking about?

Best,
Takuto
Saludos
Pablo Alfonso González Luengo
2018-11-13 02:41:22 UTC
Post by Pablo Alfonso González Luengo
Truthfully, I expected it to throw a "no-found-nothing" error
If you want to disable the fuzzy search feature, you can set
fuzzy_level = 0
in your own texdoc.cnf. Please see the documentation for the details.
Ok, the truth is that I rarely touch the configuration files :)
Post by Pablo Alfonso González Luengo
The reason that Texdoc gives different results for each invocation is that
the program selects the final result randomly from the candidates which have
the same Levenshtein distances to the (mistyped) input keyword; this is
because it is impossible to decide the best one in those candidates.
ok I understand the behavior, but, the list that you select should be
constant and
only the chosen file should be random. Here I leave the output provided by
windows
and linux as a report

% win10pro x64, v1803
C:\>tlmgr update --self --all --reinstall-forcibly-removed
tlmgr.pl: package repository
http://ftp.inf.utfsm.cl/pub/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet (verified)

C:\>tlmgr shell --machine-readable -v
D:tlmgr:main: ::tldownload_server defined:
TeXLive::TLDownload=HASH(0x3e58ad4)
protocol 1
tlmgr>
version
revision 48598
installation C:/texlive/2018
tlversion 2018
TLConfig 48727
TLUtils 48975
TLPOBJ 48828
TLPDB 48874
TLPaper 45795
TLWinGoo 47907
tlmgr>
quit

C:\>texdoc -f
c:/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/scripts/texdoc/texdoclib.tlu 3.0
Configuration files are:
active c:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\texdoc\texdoc.cnf
Recommended file(s) for personal settings:
C:/Users/pablo/texmf/texdoc/texdoc.cnf

C:\>texdoc -l tikzz
1 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\fonts\tipa\tipaman.pdf
= [en] Package manual (English)
2 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\latex\tipa-de\tipaman-de.pdf
= [de] The document itself
3 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\fonts\tipa\vowel.pdf
4 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\fonts\tipa\00README
= Readme
5 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\fonts\tipa\Manifest.txt
6 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\fonts\tipa\00README.doc
7 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\latex\tipa-de\LIESMICH
= [de] Readme
Enter number of file to view, RET to view 1, anything else to skip:

C:\>texdoc -l tikzz
1 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\latex\tipfr\tipfr-doc.pdf
= [fr] Package documentation
2 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\latex\tipfr\README
= Readme
Enter number of file to view, RET to view 1, anything else to skip:

C:\>texdoc -l tikzz
1 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\latex\ticket\manual.pdf
= Package manual
2 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\latex\ticket\ex_file.pdf
3 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\latex\ticket\ex_flashcard.pdf
4 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\latex\ticket\ex_flashcard_dup.pdf
5 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\latex\ticket\ex_flashcard_rm.pdf
6 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\latex\ticket\ex_marks.pdf
7 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\latex\ticket\ex_pin.pdf
8 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\latex\ticket\ex_vcard.pdf
9 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\latex\ticket\README.txt
= Package Readme
10 C:\texlive\2018\texmf-dist\doc\latex\ticket\comment
Enter number of file to view, RET to view 1, anything else to skip:

% Linux fedora 4.18.17-300.fc29.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Nov 5 17:56:16 UTC 2018
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[***@fedora ~] $ su -
Contraseña:
su: Fallo de autenticación
[***@fedora ~] $ su -
Contraseña:
[***@fedora ~] # tlmgr update --self --all --reinstall-forcibly-removed
tlmgr: package repository http://ctan.dcc.uchile.cl/systems/texlive/tlnet
(verified)
tlmgr: saving backups to /usr/local/texlive/2018/tlpkg/backups
[***@fedora ~] # tlmgr shell --machine-readable -v
D:tlmgr:main: ::tldownload_server not defined
protocol 1
tlmgr>
version
revision 48598
installation /usr/local/texlive/2018
tlversion 2018
TLConfig 48727
TLUtils 48975
TLPOBJ 48828
TLPDB 48874
TLPaper 45795
TLWinGoo 47907
tlmgr>
quit
[***@fedora ~] # exit
logout
[***@fedora ~] $ texdoc -f
/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/scripts/texdoc/texdoclib.tlu 3.0
Configuration files are:
active /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/texdoc/texdoc.cnf
Recommended file(s) for personal settings:
/home/pablo/texmf/texdoc/texdoc.cnf
[***@fedora ~] $ texdoc -l tikzz
1 /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/fonts/tipa/tipaman.pdf
= [en] Package manual (English)
2 /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/latex/tipa-de/tipaman-de.pdf
= [de] The document itself
3 /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/fonts/tipa/vowel.pdf
4 /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/fonts/tipa/00README
= Readme
5 /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/fonts/tipa/Manifest.txt
6 /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/fonts/tipa/00README.doc
7 /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/latex/tipa-de/LIESMICH
= [de] Readme
Enter number of file to view, RET to view 1, anything else to skip:
[***@fedora ~] $ texdoc -l tikzz
1 /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/man/man1/tie.man1.pdf
Enter number of file to view, RET to view 1, anything else to skip:

[***@fedora ~] $ texdoc -l tikzz
1 /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/man/man1/tie.man1.pdf
Enter number of file to view, RET to view 1, anything else to skip:

[***@fedora ~] $ texdoc -l tikzz
1 /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/latex/tikz-cd/tikz-cd-doc.pdf
= Package documentation
2 /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/doc/latex/tikz-cd/README
= Readme
Post by Pablo Alfonso González Luengo
I examined a bit on my Windows PC and found that a "Too many argument in
command line" error always occur for `texdoc 2up`. Is this the problem you're
talking about?
I just referred to that problem, excuse my English, my computer is in
Spanish (my native language).
I must clarify that after the last update this problem seems to have
disappeared...

This may sound like a request, but, the behavior to enter a wrong word
(badword) could be
First: List the files that BEGIN with "badword", sorted from the shortest
length to the longest (or some other criteria).
Second: List the files that DO NOT BEGIN with "badword" (that only continue
it), ordered by some criteria.
Third: If you do not find anything that matches "badword" to show the
classic error of not found, look in ctan.
Similar to the behavior of the fedora package manager $ dnf search "badword"
Greetings and thanks for your great job
(Saludos y gracias por tu gran trabajo)
Norbert Preining
2018-11-13 02:53:09 UTC
Hi Pablo, hi Takuto,
Post by Pablo Alfonso González Luengo
ok I understand the behavior, but, the list that you select should be
constant and only the chosen file should be random.
I guess that comes from texdoc selecting a package from the list at
random, and then presents the documentation files for that package.

That means although the list of packages considered is constant, the
list of documents shown then change due to the nondeterminstic selection
of one package.

My ideas are:
- offer the list of package names and let the user select, then show the
doc files
- show doc files of all packages in the list

Not sure which is easier/better to do.

Best

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert http://www.preining.info
Accelia Inc. + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Developer
GPG: 0x860CDC13 fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13
Pablo Alfonso González Luengo
2018-11-13 03:25:33 UTC
Post by Norbert Preining
- offer the list of package names and let the user select, then show the
doc files
It's exactly how I visualize it in my mind. Actually, it would suffice
to show the list
and then exit texdoc, as user I rewrite the correct name and texdoc
selects the correct
file following some predefined order package(?- doc).(pdf | ps | dvi),
README(.?md | txt), etc.
I assume that if any documentation does not follow this rule ((I
really do not know if it's a rule),
the author will give notice to the maintainers and place custom-doc in
the correct list to show by texdoc.
Post by Norbert Preining
Not sure which is easier/better to do.
The truth is that it is difficult to determine ... but, for me it is a
more friendly behavior :)

Saludos
Pablo